APPLICATION DEADLINE APPROACHING: Nov 1
2023 SUMMER SCHOOL & FESTIVAL: JUNE 12 - AUGUST 5
Full-scholarship: FREE tuition, accommodations, & meals
Ready for a life-changing summer? The Music Academy catalyzes the change that will propel classically trained musicians boldly forward
2023 Lehrer Vocal Institute: ultimate training center and incubator for developing artists of impact, with opportunities and training curated to the individual. World-class teaching artists mentor and prepare top musicians from around the globe for abundant performances: fully-staged opera production of La bohème conducted by Daniela Candillari and directed by Mary Birnbaum, Latin Song Project curated and coached by Ana Maria Martinez and César Cañón, Marilyn Horne Song Competition awarding a $5,000 and recital to the winning singer and pianist, public masterclases, vocal chamber concerts, Industry Day offering singers and pianists the opportunity to be heard by and receive feedback from prominent artist managers and casting directors, a contemporary Creative Project, and more. Fellows receive private lessons plus studio classes and coachings, balanced with the priority of daily time to refresh and reflect.
PLUS! Dynamic extracurricular opportunities for all fellows including…
- Community engagement (“Compeer Program”) through which all fellows enjoy frequent activities and post-concert connections with Academy audiences
- Wellness Program offering performance medicine, counseling appointments, and Alexander Technique classes
- Social events on and off campus so fellows experience the beauty and culture of Santa Barbara
- Innovation Institute offering seminars, entrepreneurial competitions, inspiring mentorship, practical training, and funding opportunities for fellow and alumni projects that harness the power of music to impact the world.
All just steps from the beach in gorgeous Santa Barbara!
- Directing Fellowship: Music Academy teaching artists collaborate with and mentor the directing fellow to prepare them for a professional career as a stage director. The directing fellow will serve as assistant director of the Academy's production of La bohème, working with the opera director, Mary Birnbaum, and Principal Opera Conductor, Daniela Candillari. The directing fellow will also collaborate on a contemporary Creative Project. In addition to mentorship sessions throughout the summer, the Directing Fellow will have the opportunity to work directly with the Academy vocal fellows in one-on-one dramatic coachings.
- Lehrer Vocal Institute Studio Artists: three-week intensive opera chorus residency Weeks 3-5 (June 25-July 17). Up to nine singers and one vocal pianist invited to participate in the opera chorus, a curated public performance just for studio artists, lessons, weekly coachings and studio classes. Studio artists are selected during the Vocal Institute audition process.
- 8-week fellow residency: 20 singers, six vocal pianists, one directing fellow
- 3-week studio artist residency: up to 9 singers and 1 vocal pianist
Auditions: Pre-Screening Round and Invitation-Only Live + Virtual Final Round
Visit Music Academy Admissions for Festival details and teaching artist roster