Saturday, March 7, 2020, Jackson Symphony Hall, Jackson, MI
The Harold Haugh Light Opera Vocal Competition has no top age limit. It is open to all singers who are not professionally represented (under management) or have not worked full-time as a professional singer. The competition is also intended to promote the variety of fine music produced by the composers of Light Opera. Singers choose music from opera to demonstrate their technique, and light classical sources that show their acting abilities. They will be judged on their vocal ability as well as their acting ability.
• A good quality AUDIO CD demonstrating the applicant’s vocal skill. Applicant must include two selections on the disc. The selections should be:
1. A song or solo from the light opera repertoire, showing style
2. An aria from opera or oratorio, showing technique
Selections must be well-recorded and clear. A poor recording will be rejected.
• A RECENT HEAD SHOT (8 x 10 preferred, 4 x 6 acceptable)
• $40 entry fee
• SHEET MUSIC and accompanist fee, if requesting a Guild accompanist
Singers will be chosen from among the applicants to enter the Semi-Final Round, which will take place between 10 am and 5 pm, Saturday, March 7. Seven Finalists will be chosen from this group to compete in the Finals, beginning at 7:30 pm.
The photograph shows the winners of the 2019 competition, from left to right: Anna Montgomery, soprano, 1st place; Brian Major, baritone, 2nd place; Isaac Frishman, tenor, 3rd place.
To enter, go to: http://comicoperaguild.org/PAGES/VOCAL-COMPETITION.html