The application period for this opportunity has passed.
1. Online application
2. Résumé or thorough bio
3. 8 x 10 black and white publicity photo or suitable alternate
4. $35 Non-refundable Application fee
|New York, NY USA:||Tue 29th Nov 2011 - Fri 2nd Dec 2011|
|Chicago, IL USA:||Wed 7th Dec 2011 - Thu 8th Dec 2011|
Opera New Jersey prefers to hear all auditions in person. If singers have an extenuating circumstance and would like to request permission to submit a CD in lieu of a live audition, please contact Opera New Jersey via phone or email.
Singer's audition repertoire must include (from memory):
1 - Italian aria, 1 -English aria, 1 - Musical Theater selection desirable but optional.
Singers are encouraged to bring additional selections.
An accompanist will be available or you may provide your own (for singers only).
APPRENTICE COACH-ACCOMPANIST APPLICANTS:
Pianists should prepare the following selections for their audition:
ALL OF THE FOLLOWING:
1. Solo piano piece (memorization preferred, but not required)
2. Verdi, Act III Violetta-Alfredo Duet – Begin with Annina’s “Signora!” through the entrance of Germont. Take the traditional Schirmer cuts.
3. Adamo, Little Women – Act I, Scene I, “Barristers! It’s quarter past!” – Through the entrance of Alma – “Supper, half an hour!”
TWO OF THE FOLLOWING:
1. Puccini, Madama Butterfly, Orchestral Prelude to Act III (ending at Rehearsal 13)
2. Mozart, Die Zauberflöte – From the Act I Finale – Tamino/Sprecher Scene from “Die Weisheits lehre” through “hier entsprang.”
3. Puccini, La bohème, Beginning of opera through entrance of Mimì
4. Strauss, Ariadne auf Naxos – “Sein wir wieder gut”, Reh. 108 (sehr lebhaft) to Reh. 117 (etwas schneller)
The excerpts are to be played at the piano. The applicant should be able to sing all parts with an understanding of the text. The playing should reflect orchestral weight and color, while maintaining a pianistic sensibility. Sight-reading may be required. You will be asked to conduct or be conducted. Successful applicants will be granted an audition of approximately 20 minutes that will conclude with a brief interview. We will invite approximately two to three individuals to join us for the summer of 2011, and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following: serving as 2nd Assistant Conductor of a mainstage production, daily musical coaching, playing chorus rehearsals, musical direction of an opera scene, and running of supertitles for mainstage productions.
Yes. May bring own
This opportunity has passed. It was originally published on October 06, 2011.
* Always check the source website for the latest and complete information.