This application closed on Sunday October 25, 2020.
We know this time is hard. COVID sucks. Not performing live sucks.
Opera MODO has been working to transform the world of opera by encouraging artistic dialogue between modern society and our inherited operatic repertoire for nine years. We believe art should always be inclusive, innovative, reflective, authentic, impactful, and relevant.
We started thinking of what we were missing this fall due to the pandemic: our next set of auditions, our fall production, the second installment of "Zombie Divas" (our immersive Halloween event for Detroit's families hosted at The Motown Mansion). Then we thought of the incredible artists we get to meet, and we wanted to find a way to showcase all that creativity.
By creating these categories, we challenge you to craft your video submissions as a whole work of art in order to tell the story of your chosen selection. No "park and bark" performances, please, meaning don't just stand and perform. Bring these characters to life (or back from the dead) with a clear vision of the narrative, and a plan on where and how to capture the experience on video. Storytelling is our primary objective at Opera MODO; we ask the same of you
Traditionally, we restrict applications to the Detroit Aria Competitions to artists from just three states on the basis of driving distance from Detroit for the final round. With that not being an issue, but with an eye toward highlighting the phenomenal talent in the Great Lakes region, we expanded the applications to the states and provinces listed above. We'll host a virtual event on October 31st to showcase the winners!
We hope this inspires you to find new ways to engage with our shared art form. Take care of yourselves and each other, and we'll "see" you soon!
- Rising Star Prize (ages 16-21) American Art Song & Sondheim Curation ($150 Prize) Sponsor: Christ Church Detroit
- Social Justice Prize ($250 Prize PLUS 50% of application fees toward the non-profit advocacy group of their choice) Sponsor: MODO's The George Shirley Diversify Opera Resident Artist Program
- Collaboration with Stage Director Prize ($250 for each, director and performer prizes) Sponsor: Lynne Metty
- Zombie Divas/Divos Prize ($250 Prize) Sponsors: Alan Brown and Aldo Torres
- Overall Prize (non specific category video), ($250 Prize) Sponsor: Christ Church Detroit