This application closed on Monday April 10, 2023.
Opera MODO Presents: Detroit Aria Competition 2023:
Opera MODO has been working to transform the world of opera by encouraging artistic dialogue between modern society and our inherited operatic repertoire for nine years. We believe art should always be inclusive, innovative, reflective, authentic, impactful, and relevant.
We invite artists of any age to share their artistry, both in our productions and for this competition. Artists under the age of 22 are limited to American art songs and/or songs by Sondheim, a rich repertoire that should provide plenty of material for fine musical storytelling. All other applicants are required to submit opera arias in any language. Storytelling and captivating artistry are our primary objectives at Opera MODO; we ask the same of all you, and look forward to your applications!
1. Applicants must be available to travel to Detroit for the final round, to be held Saturday, April 29th at 5pm, at Christ Church Detroit. Travel costs are at the finalists’ expense.
2. Applicants must reside within Michigan, Ohio, or Indiana, and provide proof of residency.
3. Applicants in the Rising Star category must be between 16 and 21 years of age.
4. Applicants in the Young Artist category must be between 22 and 29 years of age.
5. Applicants in the Emerging Artist category must be 30 years of age or older.
No limit. We don't believe artistry has age limits.
How To Apply
Two video performances fulfilling the repertoire requirements for your age category. The video should be uploaded to YouTube and a link submitted in your YAP Tracker application. These videos may not be from a staged production, but should be performed with accompaniment, like an audition video. Slating (stating your name and performance selection) is not required.
Proof of Michigan/Ohio/Indiana residency is required. A photo of a state-issued ID is acceptable.